Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Terri G. Long's Extra Rich Cake



 
 
So, y'all have heard me talk about Rachel Thompson, but one of my other buddy authors is Terri Guiliano Long, author of In Leah's Wake and the soon to be released, Nowhere to Run. On Terri's blog, http://terriglong.com/blog/, not only does she and others in the industry give wonderful advice to authors, but she also has a segment called "In Terri's Kitchen" which she posts some awesome recipes for every course of a meal! That is where I found the recipe for this cake. This cake is so unbelievably moist and the pudding topping is a wonderful alternative to the really sweet icing which I am not a fan of. As a bonus, serve this cake well chilled and the pudding topping almost comes off as a thinner ice cream topping.
 
Now, in Terri's original recipe, she has the pudding as a chocolate pudding, however, I was not in the mood for all that chocolate and wanted to break it up. I went with a Oreo pudding instead. So, have a blast with the "pairings" you can do...next time I make it, I am kicking around a chocolate and pistachio pudding combination! I have even kicked around a vanilla frosting accented with an orange or lemon extract, to give a sherbet effect! My mouth is WATERING!
 
I did make a slight alteration from Terri's recipe. Terri instructed bakers to stir chocolate chips into the prepared cake mix prior to pouring it into the pan. This led, in my case to the chocolate chips settling at the bottom of the cake pan. Instead, next time, I will sprinkle them on top immediately prior to placing the cake in the oven.
 
So, here we go!
 
Ingredients:
 
Box Chocolate Cake Mix
6 oz Semisweet Chocolate Chips
Large box (5.9 oz) INSTANT Pudding
1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
2 cups WHOLE milk
 
Directions:
 
1) Preheat oven as directed on the cake box.  Prepare cake mix according to box directions. Pour into a 9x13 prepared pan.
 
2) Sprinkle chocolate chips over cake. Place cake in oven and bake as directed.
 
3) When finished, remove from oven and "poke" holes in the cake using eraser sized round object. I used a skewer, but didn't think the holes were large enough. Next time, I will use a wooden spoon handle.
 
4) Mix the pudding mix with the powdered sugar and milk. Immediately, pour half of the mixture over the cake. Allow the remaining portion to thicken a tad and spread, like frosting, over the cake. Place in refrigerator to settle.
 
5) Can't stress this enough...CAKE SHOULD BE SERVED WELL CHILLED!!!
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment